Computer space is limited. Only after transferring some limited pictures, videos and documents into your computer, you come across the bright sign on your computer saying “Memory Disk Full!”. This is one of the most frustrating situations as computers are considered to be the backbone where one can store unlimited amounts of data. There is an increase in different types of cloud storage where you can store your data online but all these new advancements may sometimes have a weak hold. This is where the good old external hard drive comes into hand. Even though many substitutes have arrived, the hard drive such as the STDR2000100 Seagate Backup HD still holds a great deal of importance for the user. It not only provides extra space, but it also has other advantages for you.
Uses of External Hard Drive
Before we talk about the uses of an external hard drive, it is essential to first discuss what a hard drive actually is. A hard drive is a portable device that is externally connected to a computer through the USB port and it serves the function of storing different sizes of data within itself. Hard drives come in varying sizes and shapes, and it all depends upon the user’s preferences while the user makes a purchase decision regarding the hard drive.
Hard drives serve a number of purposes, which are mentioned below:
- Data Back up: Hard drives enable you to back up your data and store it in a safe and secure place from where you can transfer your data whenever you wish. Your computer is, after all, an electronic device that would shut down and give up on you any minute. So, rather than going through the hassle of losing your data and attempting to recover it, it is best if you take precautions and store it in a hard drive before-hand.
- Data Rights: When you back up your data to a hard drive that is owned by you solely, the data in it will be only under your ownership. This is not the case when you use cloud-based storage systems because that data is not your sole property. You have uploaded it and given rights to another party.
- Offline Usage: You are not required to be connected to the internet in order to access, download, or transfer your data. The hard drive is portable and easily reachable.
- Security: When you use a hard drive, you are making sure that you are on the path to the utmost safety as your data is in your hands.
- Costs: It is less expensive to have a hard drive because it is purchased only once whereas for the cloud-based services, you have to sign up for a subscription and that too on a monthly basis.
The external hard drive thus has a large number of benefits and its use protects you and cuts costs for you on a big level.